Monday, July 4, 2011

Words that I hate

I hate certain words.  Words have meaning, and yes when used correctly, I don't really hate these words, but I hate them in their common parlance.  I hate the words, bigot, homophobe, sexist, racist, and there are probably a few others that aren't coming to mind at this minute.  For example, the folks at dictionary.com define a phobia as, "a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it."


So using that definition, let's define homophobia.  Homophobia is a persistent, irrational fear of homosexuality that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.  I can accept this definition and so I don't hate this word.  Now, in real life if I were to debate someone on the issue of homosexuality and I took the opposing viewpoint, I could be called "homophobic".  Do I have an persistent, irrational fear of it?  No, I do not.  I simply have an intellectual disagreement about it and I am debating from my point of view.


To reiterate, words have meaning.  You can't change that meaning to make the word into a weapon for your point of view.  If you want a good weapon that will strike down what I have to say, craft a well defended argument for your point.  Don't try to jab me with your insulting ignorance of the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment